December 12th, 2013
Guys, the final print copy of The Onion went out today and I still don’t have a copy. I need to hunt some down. Hopefully people haven’t hoarded them all already. I want to hoard, too!
"The report concluded by noting that revenues for The Onion will likely only continue increasing through 2014, with experts estimating that readers across the country would likely continue flocking to Onion boxes every Thursday morning and pulling out a fresh copy of the paper for generations to come.”
The Sing-Off might not have Ben Folds keeping an official blog anymore but that isn’t stopping him from giving excellent commentary on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BenFolds/posts/10151791058867231
sing-off your songs are ridiculously expensive considering they’re so short. like, they’re more than 1 cent/second of song in most cases.
you’re lucky i love you.
- Talk about the most affectionate sing-off battle ever. The whole time both groups just looked so impressed with each other.
- I feel like SCR knew as soon as they were in the bottom two that they were going home.
- That SCR vs Ten for the bottom two and Ten looked so relieved? did you seriously think they would put you in the bottom two
- Awwwww though we all knew SCR might not make it very far it’s really sad to see them go. If they hadn’t split the groups in half I don’t think they would’ve gone just yet.
- As much as I love the Filharmonic, I’m with Ben that there just wasn’t something in there that grabbed me the way I wanted it to (and I like this song) and I’m not sure exactly what it was either. I felt like the beginning in particular was a little uninteresting.
- But I also agree with Shawn that I thought this was probably a technically better performance.
- I’m concerned about their fate. I feel like Filharmonic and SCR will be in the bottom two, and I feel like Filharmonic might take it (with the reasoning that they—arguably—have more potential, and I want to say they have more appeal but a lot of people do seem to love SCR too) but that the actual sing-off performances themselves might be able to swing that one either way.
- UGH STILL ANNOYED THAT IT HAS TO BE THESE FOUR IN THIS GROUP
- The judges are telling SCR what we’ve been saying since the beginning— as great as they are, to get far in the competition, they need to be able to show us something new, and like Home Free (though we’ll see what they do this time around) there’s a risk in that they are very reliant on their style of choice and are not very versatile.
- That said, I loved this. It was the perfect song choice for them this round and it was every bit as entertaining as it needed to be.
- Reminder that S3 winners Pentatonix did this song as well (though as part of a mashup) and honestly in some ways I think SCR’s was better(!!) because they have such a great style for it.
- If Acoustikats doesn’t get kicked off this round and Filharmonics doesn’t drop the ball (and God, I hope they don’t) I do think that SCR might be at risk of getting kicked off this round simply because of the lack of other choices. If this were the actual top four you know they would probably be the ones to go.
- college boys in sweaters
- ugh i actually liked it (i think it could’ve been even better but it was much better than anything else they’ve done, i think— i feel like this is more an area they could excel in and i don’t know why they keep doing those other goofy party songs) and i think it was enough to save them (because they showed the judges versatility) which makes me very worried about who is getting eliminated this episode
- idk a proposal(!!!) is sort of sob story-esque but i mean… it’s not like i came blame the guy for taking the opportunity. i wonder if he was like OH SHIT WE ALMOST GOT KICKED OFF LAST EPISODE I BETTER DO THIS WHILE I’M STILL ON TV
- Ben never really gives standing ovations to groups, only to group numbers, so I like that when Shawn and Jewel stood they filmed it at such an angle that you could not see if Ben was standing or not (because he probably wasn’t).
- Speaking of Ben I think he’s right that Ten’s “band” could be stronger (which I would guess is mostly due to their limited a cappella experience) but I feel like that is such a small thing that we wouldn’t even be talking about if they weren’t already so good— this, I think, was definitely their strongest performance and that if they continue improving at this rate they could have a shot at taking the whole competition.